n 1233 Chełmno was given its location charter by Herman von Salza, the Great Master of the Teutonic Order and probably in the same time he had a monastery-stronghold erected in the west corner of the town. The shape of the stronghold as well as the size remains unknown. The only remain of it is a tower. The castle underwent several reconstructions. The first took place in the mid-14th century, then the town walls were made higher and the castle's tower was incorporated into the Cistercians'
Plan Chełmna z zabudowaniami klasztornymi w północno-zachodnim narożniku
monastery. In 1601 a chapter-house was arranged in the tower. The castle buildings were pulled down in the 18th century. As mentioned above, the only remnant of the castle is the tower called Wieża Mściwoja ("The Tower of Mściwój"). On the elevation a sepulchral board of Melchior Wejcher, the voivod od Chełm, has preserved. It was built in after the elevation was made, initially there was no board on the elevation.
Serwis wykorzystuje technologi? cookie w celu uprzyjemnienia u?ytkowania.