he first castle of Połczyn was erected by Bogusław IV around 1290, when Brandenburg occupied the Świdwin region and Połczyn became a border city between Pomoria and Brandenburg. It is unknown if it was a brick-or-stone foundation. We cannot also be sure if the present castle was built on the site of the previous one. During the archaeological research by T. Nawrolski no relics of the origin earlier then from the 15th century were found on the castle hill. That would mean that the castle was located in a different place or before the construction of new buildings the old ones were pulled down and the ground was levelled and some of it taken away. The first castle was a duke's property until the early 14th century. Then the duke Warcisław made over the castle to the Wedel family. They ordered the
by ZeroJeden, IV 2005
extension of the castle (or raised a new one in some other place) already as a stone or brick foundation. In 1337 Hasso Wedel allied himself with Brandenburgians and soon after they took the stronghold back from the Wedel family. In 1389 Połczyn passed into the hands of the Manteuffel family. In 1500 the castle was burned in fire but reconstructed as soon as in 1515 by Kurt Manteuffel. On the hill near the ford over the Wogra River a dwelling tower was erected on a square-like plan (around 12x12m). The tower might have been built on the remnants of the previous structure. It is probable that the outer walls surrounded the courtyard of the shape of pentagon. The outer castle might have been situated to the north of the castle. The gate probably was adjacent to the tower in the north line of the walls. After 1525 new south and north wings were erected. In 1654 the castle passed into the hands of the Krockow family. In the years 1770-1772 Antoni von Krockow ordered demolition of the castle walls and had a new Baroque two-wing palace built from scratch. Only some
by ZeroJeden, IV 2005
fragmentary bottom parts of the walls of the square tower have remained of the first castle in the south part of the new west wing. The castle of the Krockow family was developed in the 19th century. After being destroyed during World War II the castle was finally renovated and now it serves as a seat of cultural and educational institutions.
Show on map
Serwis wykorzystuje technologi? cookie w celu uprzyjemnienia u?ytkowania.