Names similar to Stare Drawsko • Alt Draheim • Draheim • Drahim: Stare Dębno (47%) Drawno (43%)
n the first part of the 15th century, on the isthmus between Drawsko and Żerdno lakes, The Knights of St John of Jerusalem raised a timber-and-earth construction on a site of a medieval stronghold.
A stone-and-brick castle, so-called Drahim, was built in the years 1360-1366. Subsequently it became the seat of the order's administration (baliwat), as the previous one, the castle of Czaplinek, had fallen into Polish hands.
The castle was set on a rectangle plan (41x46,5 m). A three-storey dwelling house situated along the south wall housed: on the ground floor - the prison and administrative rooms, on the first floor - rooms for residents and guest rooms, on the second floor - store-rooms and granaries. The entrance to the castle was through the gate in the north wall. Apart from the main gate there was a small wicket door gate in
In 1368 Kazimierz Wielki (the Great) incorporated Stare Drawsko into Poland and The Knights of St John of Jerusalem were allowed to stay there as the king's feudal vassals. As they did not obey Polish politics, the king Władysław Jagiełło took the castle from them and made it a seat of Polish local administration (starosty). While serving as its seat, the castle underwent several reconstructions. Outside the north wall, there appeared a new entrance building . Two wooden-framed houses for the starost and his assistant were built along the east and west walls.
The first historic record to give a precise description of the castle goes back to the years 1628-1632, when Jan Sędziwój Czarnkowski was starost of Stare Drawsko. Since 1657 it belonged to the Lords of Brandenburg. Initially lent to them on security , soon passed to them for good. They modernised the castle fortifications encircling them with earthworks with corner towers.
After burning down, the castle was abandoned in 1758. In 1784, since the castle was falling into ruins, it was partially pulled down in order to obtain building materials for a church.